Vernon Township

21 Church Street, Vernon, NJ 07462
Phone: 973.764.4055

Temporary Outdoor Activity Permit

Pursuant to municipal code, a temporary outdoor activity permit is required for many organized outdoor activities. The following is a partial list of events which would require a temporary outdoor activity permit.

  • Concerts, carnivals, circuses, festivals, fairs, craft fairs and similar events
  • Flea markets, auctions, roadside sales, car shows and similar events
  • Outdoor meetings, tent sales, business events, organized picnics and similar events
  • Professional golf/tennis tournaments, horse shows, rodeos and similar activities
  • Tent sales or off-premise promotional sales events for permanent retail stores and similar events
  • Political marches, meetings, gatherings and similar events
  • Charity or non-profit fundraisers or drives to be held on public or private property
  • Organized group special events (pep rallies, outdoor dances, parties or weddings)
  • Organized marches, walks, runs, races and similar events
  • Fireworks displays
  • Parades or requests for road closures
  • Any event which will include the use of event tents, temporary structures
  • Any event during which generators or propane will be used
  • Any event during which a fire pit and/or open burn will take place
  • Any event for which private security has been hired or will be on site
  • Any event which will have food preparation or food vendors on site
  • Any event requiring traffic control
  • Any event which inflatable rides, slides or bounce houses, or similar items will be in use
  • Any event for which tickets are for sale or attendees must pay to attend (including donations)

In order to obtain a permit, you must complete a temporary outdoor activity permit application form  and submit it with a $50.00 application fee to the Vernon Township Division of Planning and Zoning. Applications must be received at least 60 days before your scheduled event.

As part of the permit application process, applicants will be required to provide a layout showing how the event will be set up, contracts with vendors (garbage, security for example), copies of any flyers or advertising that will be used to promote the event and a list of any websites, Facebook pages, etc. used to promote the event.

Depending upon the nature of the proposed activity, additional permits may be necessary:

  • All fires or open burns require a permit.
  • Most temporary structures, stages or tents require a permit.
  • Usage of a diesel generator requires a permit.
  • Providing alcoholic beverages requires a licensed vendor or appropriate state social affair permit.
  • All food vendors must obtain approval from the Sussex County Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Health  and a license from Vernon Township. Please call 973.764.4055, ext. 2240 for more information.

All local laws, ordinances and permit requirements must be complied with and all music and loud noise must end at 11:00 p.m.

Need more information or have questions? Contact the division at 973.764.4055, ext. 2279.


Vernon Township

21 Church Street
Vernon, NJ 07462

Phone: 973.764.4055 

Township Hours

Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.


Emergencies Dial 9-1-1
Non-Emergencies Dial 973-764-6155


Current Agendas

Township Council

Land Use Board