The regular meeting was called to order at 7:32 p.m. by Bill Shapiro.
Board of Recreation members in attendance: Bill Shapiro, Denise Urbaniak, Mary Ellen Vichiconti, Kelly Weller, Carolyn Cacace. Also in attendance: Don Couser, Liz Couser.
Approval of Minutes:
Motion made by Mary Ellen Vichiconti to approve minutes from Sept. 7, 2016, meeting. Motion seconded by Bill Shapiro; motion approved.
Open to the Public:
Horseshoe League Presentation by Don Couser
- Provided a visual display of the proposed relocation and expansion of the horseshoe pits to be located at Veterans’ Memorial Park. Display included examples of concrete around the horseshoe pits, fencing, and plants for the area.
- Relocation area is behind the large baseball field where basketball courts were previously located.
- Long range plans also include a pavilion at the park.
- Greenway Action Advisory Committee
- Bill Shapiro stated that he would like to see a map of the plans for the new trails. He will follow-up with Mayor Shortway.
- Trails of Vernon Challenge
- Discussion regarding complimentary knapsacks are not being prominently displayed or promoted at the local businesses that are involved in the give-away promotion.
- Overall though the program seems to be going well and getting positive feedback.
- Trunk or Treat
- At previous meeting Jeanne Buffalino provided a well organized game plan for the Trunk or Treat event to be held on October, 18th at Maple Grange Park from 6-8 p.m. Will need Board of Recreation volunteers to help with the event.
- Holiday Parade/Tree Lighting
- Denise Urbaniak provided a list of questions regarding logistics/permits required for the parade. She will send an e-mail listing the questions to Mayor Shortway and Mishelle Downtain.
Once again the Board of Recreation discussed the need for digital sign(s) to promote events in the town.
Motion to adjourn at 8:30 p.m. made by Denise Urbaniak; motion by seconded by Mary Ellen Vichiconti. Motion approved.
Next Meeting—October 5, 2016