Are you ready to try something new?
Explore places you’ve never been?
Welcome to the Trails of Vernon Challenge!
Discover the many beautiful trails that Vernon has to offer by joining this self-guided challenge to complete 50 miles on any of our trails.
The Challenge kicks off on National Trails Day each year, but it never really ends—there are always new adventures to be had and new trails to be discovered!
This is not a race—it is an individual challenge for personal growth and making a commitment that may change life for the better! So get unplugged, get outdoors and start your journey to a new you!
Choose your adventure...hike your own hike and move at your own pace. It’s all about you...embrace it!
- The Original Challenge—Log 50 miles of trail travel.
- The Next Level Challenge —The original Challenge with a scavenger hunt to add to your adventures.
You can hike, bike, run or walk…whether a novice or experienced trail person…we have trails for everyone! There is no charge for this program.
Here’s how it works:
- Download, complete and return the registration form to the recreation department.
- Download the list of trails along with a trail mileage log to record your miles. For the Next Level Challenge, download the list of objectives .
- Share your progress on our Facebook page.
- Once you reach the challenge goal, send in your trail mileage log and/or objective list to the recreation department to receive a certificate of completion.
- Trail Map
- Black Creek Trail Map
- Maple Grange Park Trail Map
- Vernon Bike Path
- Things to bring when you hike
- Appalachian Trail Map - Pochuck Boardwalk
- Walkill River National Wildlife Refuge Map
Have questions or need more information? Contact Vernon Township Recreation at 973.764.4055, ext. 2261.
We strongly adhere to the Leave No Trace Principles