Are you ready to try something new?
Explore places you’ve never been?
Welcome to the Trails of Vernon Challenge!
Discover the many beautiful trails that Vernon has to offer by joining this self-guided challenge to complete 50 miles on any of our trails between June 2 and October 20, 2018.
In its third year and part of the 50th anniversary of the National Trails Act, the Challenge continues to help people reach their goals!
Choose your adventure...hike your own hike and move at your own pace. It’s all about you...embrace it! For each challenge, the first finisher will receive a custom hand carved walking stick made from actual wood found on the trails of Vernon.
- The Original Challenge—Log 50 miles of trail travel.
- The Build It Challenge —Help spread the word and get people involved.
- The Next Level Challenge —Add some objectives to your travels.
You can hike, bike, run or walk…whether a novice or experienced trail person…we have trails for everyone! There is no charge for this program.
Here’s how it works:
- Download, complete and return the registration form to the recreation department.
- Download the list of trails along with a trail mileage log to record your miles. For the Next Level Challenge, download the list of objectives .
- Stop in at a participating merchant while on your journey to pick up your free Trail Challenge zipper pull and pocket walking log (limited quantities, only one per family please).
- Smokey’s Brick Oven Tavern
- Heaven Hill Farm
- Pochuck Valley Farm
- Healthy Thymes
- Wallkill River Refuge Complex
- The Tracks Deli
- Lake Wanda Store
- The Daily Bean
- Vernon Deli
- The Rusty Hill
- Pizza Station
- Share your progress on our Facebook page.
- Once you reach the challenge goal, send in your trail mileage log and/or objective list to the recreation department to receive a certificate of completion.
- Trail Map
- Black Creek Trail Map
- Maple Grange Park Trail Map
- Vernon Bike Path
- Things to bring when you hike
- Appalachian Trail Map - Pochuck Boardwalk
- Walkill River National Wildlife Refuge Map
Have questions or need more information? Contact Vernon Township Recreation at 973.764.4055, ext. 2261.
We strongly adhere to the Leave No Trace Principles