Pursuant to §250-21 of the Vernon Township Code, before a 1- or 2-family residential dwelling is sold, leased or a change of occupancy occurs, the dwelling must be inspected. Inspections are carried out by the Vernon Township Fire Prevention Department. The purpose of the inspection is three-fold:
- to ensure that the dwelling is equipped with properly installed and functioning smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms (N.J.A.C. 5:70-2.3) and at least one portable fire extinguisher, no more than 10 lbs. (must have ABC label) located within 10 feet of the kitchen
- to review property maintenance and continued compliance with township ordinances
- to ensure that the structure is consistent with tax assessor and building department records and that any open permits are inspected and closed
Pursuant to N.J.A.C. 5:70-4.19, smoke detectors must be installed on each level of the premises and outside of each separate sleeping area; carbon monoxide alarms must be installed within 10 feet of a bedroom on each level. Upon a successful inspection, the property owner will be issued a certificate of smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarm compliance. Failure to obtain this certification prior to a change of occupancy may result in a financial penalty being assessed against the seller/lessor.
View placement diagram
There is a base inspection fee of $25.00 plus an additional fee in accordance with New Jersey’s Uniform Fire Code which is based upon the amount of time remaining before the change of occupancy is expected to occur, as follows:
- $45.00—request received more than 10 business days prior to the change of occupancy
- $90.00—request received five to 10 business days prior to the change of occupancy
- $161.00—request received four business days or less prior to the change of occupancy
Requesting an Inspection
Download and complete the Reoccupancy & Smoke Detector Certification Application . The fire prevention department will schedule your inspection once it is in receipt of your completed application and inspection fee.
Please note: If this is a change in tenant occupancy, you will also need to update the landlord registration statement on file with the township clerk’s office (no fee).
Need more information or have questions? Contact the department at 973.764.4055, ext. 2272.