Pursuant to township code, before a 1- or 2-family residential dwelling is sold, leased or a change of occupancy occurs, the dwelling must be inspected to ensure that it is equipped with properly installed and functioning smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms. This inspection is conducted by the Vernon Township Building Department at the same time it conducts the requisite residential dwelling reoccupancy inspection.
Business and Commercial Fire Prevention Inspections
Every business and commercial building within the township must be inspected annually to ensure compliance with New Jersey’s Uniform Fire Code (N.J.A.C. 5:70 et seq.). Some of the more commonly occurring violations found by fire prevention personnel are as follows:
- blocked fire exits
- exit lights not illuminated
- emergency lights not working
- fire extinguishers not present or not tested on an annual basis
- extension cords improperly utilized as a permanent power source
- accumulation of flammable materials
The annual inspection fee for non-life hazard use inspections is based upon the property’s square footage as follows:
- 1 to 4,500 square feet—$50.00
- 4,501 to 8,500 square feet—$75.00
- 8,501 to 11,999 square feet—$100.00
To schedule an inspection, please contact the Vernon Township Department of Fire Prevention at 973.764.4055, ext. 2272.