Within the Vernon Township Department of Public Safety is the Office of Emergency Management. During times of emergency, its purpose is to preserve the resources and property of Vernon and its residents and to protect the health, welfare and safety of the public.
When disaster strikes, Vernon’s emergency management coordinator interacts at the local level with police, fire, public works, public health, schools, etc. and at the county level with the Sussex County Division of Emergency Management.
- This national program is designed to educate citizens about preparing for emergencies before they happen. Provides information about assembling an emergency supply kit, making a family emergency plan and being informed about the different types of emergencies that could strike.
- Make sure you are signed up for Sussex County’s Swift911 program to be notified in the event of an emergency. When activated by officials, this automated system calls homes and businesses in the affected area and delivers a recorded message to notify the public about the emergency and what actions they may need to take.
- Register Ready
- This is a confidential statewide registry for people with disabilities who may need help in the event of a disaster or other emergency. The information is shared with Vernon’s Office of Emergency Management to help emergency responders locate and safely evacuate people who may find it difficult to help themselves in the event of a major disaster.
- New Jersey Office of Emergency Management
- Provides information about emergency preparedness and links to real time traffic updates, weather reports and disaster recovery information.
- Federal Emergency Management Agency
- This national agency’s mission is to support citizens and first responders to ensure that the nation works together to build, sustain and improve our collective capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from and mitigate all hazards.