Storm Preparation Checklist
Posted: December 16, 2019
Winter storms bring heavy snow, high winds and downed trees, which could lead to power outages. If your power goes out, follow these quick tips from JCP&L to be prepared and to stay safe:
- Keep electronic devices such as cell phones, laptops and tablet computers fully charged.
- Keep a flashlight, portable radio and extra batteries handy.
- Gather extra blankets or a sleeping bag for each person.
- If you have a water well and pump, keep an emergency supply of bottled water and/or fill your bathtub with fresh water.
- Stock an emergency supply of convenience foods that do not require cooking.
- Never go near downed power lines, but report them immediately to your electric service provider or your local police or fire department.
- Never use a portable generator inside the house or a closed garage.
- Never use gas stoves, kerosene heaters or other open-flame heat sources to keep warm. These sources of heat can cause deadly carbon monoxide gas to build up in your home.