Annual Reorganization Kicks Off New Year
Posted: January 2, 2014
The Vernon Township Council reorganized at noon on January 1, 2014. In addition to the approximately 100 Vernon residents who turned out for the occasion, Sussex County freeholders Phil Crabb and George Graham were in attendance.
Following the swearing-in by Mayor Vic Marotta of council members Jean Murphy, Patrick Rizzuto and Richard Wetzel to four year terms, the council elected Councilman Brian Lynch as its council president.
Before outlining what is gearing up to be an ambitious agenda for 2014, Council President Brian Lynch welcomed newly-elected Councilwoman Jean Murphy and thanked last year’s Council President Pat Rizzuto for his outstanding leadership and his dedication to making Vernon a better place to live.
In addition to the swearing-in of council members, Mayor Marotta swore in Stephen Moran, who was elevated to the rank of captain and Daniel B. Young, to the rank of lieutenant. These promotions complete the command positions of the Vernon Township Police Department as requested by newly-appointed Chief Randy Mills. The mayor also announced the appointment of Miranda Meador to the position of patrol officer.
The mayor’s appointments to the land use board, environmental commission, economic development advisory committee and senior citizens committee were approved by the council, as were his selections for fire chiefs and special police officers.
The township council authorized the award of contracts for professional services to the following:
- Township Attorney: Kevin D. Kelly, Esq. of Kelly & Ward, LLC
- Township Labor Attorney: Richard W. Wenner, Esq. of Courter, Colbert & Cohen
- Township Auditor: Frances Jones of the firm Nisivoccia & Company, LLP
- Township Bond Counsel: Robert Beinfield, Esq. of Hawkins, Delafield & Wood, LLP
- Municipal Prosecutor: Michael J. Hanifan, Sr., Esq.
- Public Defender: Eric Wood, Esq.
- Township Engineer: Cory Stoner of Harold E. Pellow & Associates
- Township Planner: Jessica C. Caldwell of J. Caldwell & Associates LLC
- Township Water Operator: Agra Environmental and Laboratory Services
- Township Computer Technician: Wired Up, LLC
Rounding out the day’s events was the appointment of Interim Business Administrator Bill Zuckerman to the position permanently.