Annual Reassessment Program
Posted: October 8, 2020
There was a public Zoom meeting presentation on September 21, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. with Associated Appraisal Group and the municipal tax assessor to go over the annual reassessment program and answer any questions the public may have. View the slideshow presentation . View the recording of the presentation.
Property owners will receive a letter in the mail advising that their property will be inspected in the near future. Properties scheduled to be inspected that will receive a notification letter in 2020 include the following:
- All commercial property—letters mailed on 7/24/2020; inspections started week of 8/31/2020
- All exempt property—letters mailed on 7/24/2020; inspections started week of 8/31/2020
- All vacant lots
- Residential homes that have sold since 10/1/2019—letters mailed on 8/24/2020; inspections started on 10/1/2020
The Sussex County Board of Taxation and the New Jersey Division of Taxation have authorized the Township of Vernon to perform a reassessment for the 2021 tax year as part of the annual reassessment program that has been implemented within the township.
The township has contracted Associated Appraisal Group, Inc. to assist in conducting the reassessment program.
The purpose of the reassessment program is two-fold:
- Updating assessments each year will ensure that property taxes are accurate, fair and in line with current market trends. There will no longer be steep property tax changes or “tax shifts” that result from long periods of time between revaluations.
- Maintaining tax assessments at 100% of true market value on a year-to-year basis will help to alleviate burdensome tax appeals that are a drain to the township’s financial stability.
As a requirement of the annual reassessment program, 20% of all properties within the township need to be inspected each year. Associated Appraisal Group, Inc. representatives will carry photo identification and their names will be registered with the police department and the township assessor’s office. Please do not allow anyone to enter your home without proper identification. You will be requested to sign the field form used by the representative to acknowledge when an interior inspection is made. View inspector information
It is important to note that while only 20% of properties are being inspected each year, all properties in town will be valued. All property owners will be notified by mail of their proposed assessed values and will have an opportunity to question/contest the values.
Any inquiries with respect to the inspection and/or valuation procedure should be directed to Associated Appraisal Group, Inc. at 908.967.6272 or the Vernon Township Tax Assessor’s Office. General information about the reassessment process can be obtained from the Associated Appraisal Group Inc. website. Regular updates on the status of the reassessment will be posted here.