Monthly Archives for December 2019
Women’s Mammography Exams
Posted: December 17, 2019
Mammograms are the best way to find breast cancer early, when it is easier to treat and before symptoms may appear.
The Sussex County Division of Health, Office of Public Health Nursing is sponsoring a women’s mammography screening clinic for NJCEED patients and other eligible county residents. Screenings are held at 201 Wheatsworth Road, Suite 4 in Hamburg.
Dates and times are as follows:
- Friday, January 3, 2020, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Saturday February 8, 2020, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Please call the Office of Public Health Nursing at 973.579.0570, ext. 1246 to find out if you qualify and to make an appointment (participants must have an appointment as walk‐ins will not be accepted).
Storm Preparation Checklist
Posted: December 16, 2019
Winter storms bring heavy snow, high winds and downed trees, which could lead to power outages. If your power goes out, follow these quick tips from JCP&L to be prepared and to stay safe:
- Keep electronic devices such as cell phones, laptops and tablet computers fully charged.
- Keep a flashlight, portable radio and extra batteries handy.
- Gather extra blankets or a sleeping bag for each person.
- If you have a water well and pump, keep an emergency supply of bottled water and/or fill your bathtub with fresh water.
- Stock an emergency supply of convenience foods that do not require cooking.
- Never go near downed power lines, but report them immediately to your electric service provider or your local police or fire department.
- Never use a portable generator inside the house or a closed garage.
- Never use gas stoves, kerosene heaters or other open-flame heat sources to keep warm. These sources of heat can cause deadly carbon monoxide gas to build up in your home.
- JCP&L customers can report any outages by calling 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877), or by visiting the JCP&L website and clicking the “Report Outage” link.
- For storm updates, follow JCP&L on Twitter @JCP_L, on Facebook or online at the JCP&L website.
Forever Home for the Holidays
Posted: December 6, 2019
We have many animals looking for their forever home this Christmas. Stop by the Vernon Township Animal Shelter on Saturday, December 14, 2019 to say hello and help us find forever homes for them all!
The shelter, located in the free-standing building off Church Street (adjacent to both the recycling center and the DPW complex), will be open extended hours for adoptions from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Bring your pet for pictures with Santa at 2:00 p.m. in the municipal building lobby! Photography by B. Luchynskyy Photography of Vernon. Special guest appearance by Tribute the Pony.
Donations suggested and appreciated to support our local Vernon Township Animal Shelter.