Agendas for each regular meeting are posted on this website and made available to the public at meetings. Agenda items are subject to change. Official copies of agendas and resolutions may be obtained from the township clerk.
Agenda: December 3, 2020*
Township Council Special Meeting
Time: 10:00 a.m.
- Call to Order
- Statement: Adequate notice of this meeting has been provided to the public and the press on November 30, 2020 and was posted on the bulletin board in the municipal building in accordance with the Open Public Meetings Act, N.J.S.A. 10:4-7.
- Roll Call
- Salute to the Flag
- Public Comments (For current agenda items only, limited to 3 minutes per person)
- Item for Discussion
- Open Space Committee (see below)
- Restructure of the Building/Zoning Department
- Setting Salary Procedures
Establishment of an Open Space Committee
- There is hereby established an Open Space Committee which shall consist of seven members whose terms and powers are set forth below.
- Membership. The Open Space Committee shall be comprised of the following persons to be appointed by the Township Council:
- The Mayor or (designee) of the Township of Vernon.
- One member of the Township Council.
- One member from the Township Land Use Board.
- One member of the Township Environmental Commission.
- One member of the Township Recreation Committee.
- Two citizens of the Township holding no other elected, appointed or employment position, one to be appointed by the Mayor and one to be appointed by the Township Council.
- Terms of office. All members of the Open Space Committee shall have a term of office of two years, (staggered), (or, term of Mayor and Councilperson would coincide with their respective term of office).
- Power and functions.
- The Open Space shall select from among its members a Chairman and a Vice Chairman to serve as the presiding officer in the absence of the Chairman. In the event of a tie vote, the Chairman’s vote shall be counted twice to break the tie. The Committee shall also select a Secretary, whose function shall be to maintain minutes of the Committee’s meetings and records of the proceedings of the Committee.
- The Open Space shall hold public meetings, which public meetings shall be held in accordance with the Open Public Meetings and the Committee shall give appropriate notification of said meetings.
- The Open Space Committee shall prepare an Open Space and Recreation Plan (the “plan”) to be used by the Township Council in prioritizing expenditures and in conjunction with applications for participation in the green trust planning incentive funding category and submitted to other sources of funding to fulfill the purposes for which the Open Space and Recreation Trust Fund was created.
- The Open Space shall also make a determination of properties which it recommends that the Township acquire and/or properties for which it recommends that development rights should be acquired, developed and/or maintained for open space and/or recreation purposes.
- The Open Space shall submit a prioritized list of those properties to the Township Council, which shall review the list and make a determination as to which properties are to be acquired and shall state the amount of funds that the Committee shall make available for such acquisition, development, maintenance and/or preservation.
- After selection of the properties referred to in Subsections D and above, the Township may proceed to acquire by gift, purchase or by eminent domain proceedings, pursuant to N.J.S.A. 20:3-1 et seq., the identified parcels within the financial constraints established by the Township Council.
- Organization meeting. The Open Space shall hold its initial organization meeting within 30 days of the effective date of this article or appointment of the Committee, whichever occurs last.