The Vernon Township Department of Finance’s Division of Tax Collections is responsible for the receipt and collection of all local taxes, both current and delinquent. The following information has been put together to address the most frequently asked questions about taxes.
In addition, the Association of Municipal Assessors of New Jersey has teamed up with the New Jersey Society of Certified Public Accountants and the New Jersey Realtors to offer the New Jersey Homeowner’s Guide to Property Taxes (833 KB) .
Have a question not addressed here? Contact the tax collector’s office at 973.764.4055, ext. 2228.
- When are real estate taxes due?
- Real estate taxes are due on February 1, May 1, August 1 and November 1. Sign up to receive e-mailed reminders ahead of quarterly property tax due dates.
Woodland Hills and Silverdale Road assessments are due by October 2 of each year; Pleasant Valley Dam Rehabilitation assessment is due by November 10 of each year.
- Is there a grace period?
- The township allows for a ten-day grace period for receipt of taxes. Any property tax payment received after the tenth calendar day is considered late and interest will be charged back to the first day due. Payment is date of receipt, not postmarked date. The delinquent interest rate is 8% on the first $1,500 and 18% on amounts above that.
- Where do I pay my taxes?
- The Vernon Township Division of Tax Collections is located in the municipal building and is open Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. For your convenience, there is also a drop-off box located by the building’s walkway. All transactions deposited in the box will be posted the next business day. Need a receipt? If you send in the entire tax bill with your quarterly payment (the upper portion and stubs) along with a self-addressed stamped envelope, the tax bill will be validated and returned to you. No other receipt will be provided; cancelled checks are proof of payments.
- Can I pay my property taxes online?
- Yes! The Township of Vernon is pleased to offer you the opportunity to pay your property taxes online, 24/7, from the convenience of your home or office.
- Are there any property tax relief programs available?
- There are two separate property relief programs which are handled at the state level—the Homestead Benefit and the Senior Freeze programs. For more information, visit the New Jersey Division of Taxation website or use the following numbers to contact the programs directly:
- Senior Freeze (Property Tax Reimbursement): 1.800.882.6597
- Homestead Benefit Program: 1.888.238.1233
- Forms to apply for a veteran or senior citizen deduction can be obtained from the Vernon Township Tax Collector’s office or downloaded directly from the state website:
- Where can I obtain other local property tax forms?
- Visit the New Jersey Division of Taxation website for assorted local property tax forms.
- Can I view and search property tax assessments online?
- Property assessment information may be accessed here.
- What if I have a change in my mailing address?
- If you need to change the mailing address on your records, please fill out our Change of Address Form and submit the new information to the Vernon Township Tax Assessor’s Office by mail or fax. Please note that this form must be signed by the property owner.
- What do I do if I received the tax bill instead of my mortgage company?
- If you received the original tax bill and the mortgage company is escrowing the property taxes, please have the mortgage company fax a copy of the homeowner’s authorization letter to us at 973.764.2447.
- Special note for new property owners:
- If you are a new property owner in Vernon Township and you did not receive the current tax bill from the seller at closing, please contact the tax assessor’s office. A word of advice: do not wait to receive a tax bill. Be proactive and obtain the due date and amount information in advance. If the first notification you receive from us is a delinquent notice and you have not received a tax bill, you are not exempt from paying the taxes…or interest charges.