All meeting minutes posted on the township website are unofficial minutes. Official copies of minutes may be obtained from the Vernon Township Department of Recreation and Community Development.
Minutes: November 16, 2016
The regular meeting was called to order at 7:32 p.m. by Mishelle Downtain.
Board of Recreation members in attendance: Denise Urbaniak, Mary Ellen Vichiconti, Heather LaBance, Joyce Brensinger, Carolyn Cacace, and Mishelle Downtain.
Resignation and Nomination of Chairperson:
Mishelle Downtain confirmed that Bill Shapiro had resigned on November 1, as the chairperson of the Board of Recreation. She also stated that Mayor Shortway would like the nomination for a new chairperson to come from within the board.
- Motion by Mishelle Downtain to nominate Denise Urbaniak as the new Board of Recreation chairperson; motion seconded by Joyce Brensinger. Motion approved unanimously.
- Motion made by Denise Urbaniak to appoint Carolyn Cacace as recording secretary; motion seconded by Mary Ellen Vichiconti. Motion approved unanimously.
- Tree Lighting
- Mishelle Downtain distributed an e-mail from Jeanne Buffalino regarding the activities for the annual tree lighting which will take place on December 8th at 6:30 p.m.
- There will be caroling around the tree, a bonfire, hot chocolate and snacks, and a bonfire.
- Trunk or Treat
- Trunk or Treat was a big success.
- Next year may move to the VTHS parking lot for additional space.
- Trails of Vernon Challenge Feedback
- Mishelle Downtain reported that she had received several positive e-mails regarding the trails challenge. It was agreed that it had been a successful program and will continue to grow in subsequent years.
- Board of Recreation members voted on the top 3 photos from the challenge. Winners and prizes are as follows:
- Laurie Detloff 3rd Place—$10 gift certificate from Healthy Thymes
- Valerie Kerwin 2nd Place—$25 gift certificate to Smokey’s
- Dr. Idjadi 1st Place—$25 gift certificate to Sculley’s Tavern
Budget Items for 2017:
Mishelle Downtain outlined a few items that partial funding was submitted in the Department of Community Affairs 2017 Budget.
- Pump track at Veterans’ Memorial Park
- Digital sign for town events
- Additional playground equipment at Veterans’ Memorial Park
- Gravel and cement costs to relocate horseshoe pits
- Money for Board of Recreation events
- Meeting schedule for 2017—Denise Urbaniak will submit one to Mishelle Downtain.
- Mishelle Downtain proposed a “Festival of Lights” at Maple Grange Park for winter of 2017-18.
- Other ideas discussed for next year:
- Disc golf
- Snow shoeing at Maple Grange Park
- Mountain bike paths
Motion to adjourn at 8:45 p.m. made by Mary Ellen Vichiconti; motion by seconded by Mishelle Downtain. Motion approved.
Scheduled meetings for December 2016 have been cancelled.