All meeting minutes posted on the township website are unofficial minutes. Official copies of minutes may be obtained from the Vernon Township Department of Recreation and Community Development.
Minutes: January 8, 2020
Meeting called to order at: 7:33 p.m.
Board of Recreation Members in Attendance:
Also in attendance:
Howard Burrell—Vernon Mayor
Stephanie Scilingo—Vernon Chamber of Commerce
Previous month’s minutes approved: Joyce Brensinger
Seconded: Kelly Brooks
Swearing in of Heather LaBance
Howard Burrell: He is very supportive of the Board of Recreation. He feels that it is a very positive aspect of the town. He is looking forward to working with us, and it is a great opportunity over the next 4 years to create many positive and lasting effects for the people of Vernon. He feels that people are looking to move into Vernon, and recreation will play a big part in that.
Viking Snowshoe 5K—January 25, 2020
- up to date with swag bags and awards.
- Need to keep promoting event.
- Volunteers are needed at 7:00 a.m.
- Registration to start at 7:30, race to start at 9:00
- Food for after race: bagels, hot chocolate, water, oranges. Need napkins and cups
- Looking to add award categories for: nest Viking garb, most team spirited
Turkey Trot Recap
- Donation to Harvest House was $4,255.37
- Holy Counselor Lutheran Church was happy to host race
- Parking was good. Just need to think about moving food and water stations for better access.
- Runners enjoyed the scenic views of the new course
- Need to encourage walkers for next year
- Possibly have a family discount/team pricing
- Need cones for turnaround area.
Tree Lighting Recap
Went well, not as well attended as in other years, but some people were still receiving from storm and loss of power. Craft tables were a big hit.
Toys for Tots
Was a great event, very inspiring. Well attended by townspeople. Holiday bazaar was a nice addition to it; the vendors enjoyed the location. Hoping to incorporate the market along with Toys for Tots Train next year, just waiting on definite date from the Toys for Tots organization.
Earthfest—April 26, 2020
Hiking Trail Program—start April 18, 2020
Looking for different themes and places to hike.
Senior Olympics—June 10, 2020
Maple Grange Park
Vernon is hosting this year, looking for volunteers to help.
Sidewalk Chalk Art Festival—June 20, 2020
- Rain date—June 27, 2020
- Need a banner for entrance to Maple Grange
- Need road signs for festival exposure
Stephanie Scilingo: Director at the Vernon Chamber of Commerce
- She wants the Rec Board and the Chamber of Commerce to work together
- Both entities have events where we could help each other
- Would like to continue to communicate with the Rec Boars to make Vernon a better town
Motion to adjourn meeting at: 9:10—Carolyn Cacace
Motion seconded by: Joyce Brensinger
Next meeting: 02/05/2020