All meeting minutes posted on the township website are unofficial minutes. Official copies of minutes may be obtained from the Vernon Township Department of Recreation and Community Development.

Minutes: January 4, 2017

Meeting called to order at: 7:32 p.m.

Board of Recreation Members in Attendance:

Denise Urbaniak
MaryEllen Vichiconti
Heather LaBance
Joyce Brensinger
Kelly Weller
Carolyn Cacace
Mishelle Downtain

Mayor Harry Shortway swore in Heather LaBance and Kelley Weller for their next term on the Board of Recreation.

Harry complimented the board on the success of the Christmas tree lighting event, and complimented Michelle by saying she was doing a great job. He also mentioned that Vernon is a 4 season town, and recreation is an important part of that.

Approval of Minutes:

Minutes for November 16, 2016 were approved by Michelle, seconded by MaryEllen.

Meeting schedule has been adjusted to 1 meeting per month, the first Wednesday of each month, and is available on the town website. If more meetings are necessary, they can be added.

Old Business:

Budget Items:

Michelle has allocated money in the budget (approx. $3,000) for the recreation board. As a volunteer board, it is best for Mishelle to handle any monies. From her office, she has requested money for:

  • Electronic marquee sign, this does not include the base support
  • Cement for the Horseshoe League
  • Pump track—there is a possibility of an available grant to help with this cost
  • Trail challenge—maps, flyers
  • New bleacher at the Flats

New Business:

  • Budget: would go for printing costs, flyers, and minimal equipment for events, activities, etc.
  • Kelly suggested a “Turkey Trot,” similar to what is run in Sparta on Thanksgiving Day. It would be a 5K, Thanksgiving Fun Run. The nominal fee would cover timing costs, t-shirts, bagels and fruit, “swag bag.” A possible route was discussed; questions about road closures need to be investigated. Kelly volunteered to look into this event, and gather information about costs, and make a concrete plan
  • Mishelle mentioned creating “a list of vendors” so that more town businesses are included in events, and that every business has equal opportunity to participate. Vernon PAL has a list of businesses that participate.
  • Disc Golf—a possible place for the disc golf course is behind the water station, town owned land, on Route 94, across from the McAfee Ski Shop.
  • Marquee sign—questions arose about where is the best place to display sign. Ideas were at the Faline Building (town owned), and accessible to all drivers on Route 515, intersection of Routes 94 and 517, by the MacAfee firehouse, and at the municipal building. Another idea was to purchase one, and then possibly add more in the future.
  • Denise brought up an idea for community snowshoeing. The event would be to organize a snowshoeing event. Some questions regarding this are:
    • Not many people own snow shoes. Can they be rented from somewhere?
    • In prior years, there were snowshoeing events at Mtn. Creek where Tubbs, a snowshoes manufacturer, provided snow shoes for lending at no cost. This was run by the Susan G. Komen Foundation, so it was a fundraiser. Denise said she would look into contacting Tubbs to see if they would consider providing snow shoes for a town event.
    • What if there is no snow?
    • Heather suggested contacting High Point State Park, as they have snow shoe and cross country ski trails.
    • Denise will get contact information for Mountain Creek and see if maybe this can be done at the end of the season (March).
  • Ideas for Spring:
    • Kite Day—can be combined with EarthFest, which will be held on 4/30/17 at Heaven Hill Farms. Bill Shapiro had come up with the idea of kite flying. Denise will discuss EarthFest logistics with Chamber Charities and Heaven Hill Farms. An idea was to have a station at EarthFest where kids (or adults) can build/decorate their own kite. MaryEllen will look into kite kit prices, and the environmental friendliness of such kits. More ideas are welcome for this event.
    • National Trails Day—June 3, 2017. Mishelle would like to start the new “Vernon Trail Challenge” to coincide with this day. Maps would be available. She would like to add features to this year’s trail challenge: ideas were a scavenger hunt, or geo-caching.
    • Vernon Day—June 4, 2017
    • Possible town-wide garage sale
    • Bike Day
    • Car show as a fundraiser
    • Vernon 5K—need a firm date from PAL
    • Mishelle mentioned the idea of a “town calendar” for 2018. This would be available to residents, and would include important contact phone numbers such as government offices, scouts, sports, schools, etc. It would also include information website links to businesses. Event dates would need to be set early to enable printing. Mishelle is going to research this further.
    • Mishelle discussed the curb appeal of the community garden on Route 517. She would like better signage. It was suggested to contact the Boy Scouts, and inquire about this as a possible Eagle Scout project.

Motion to adjourn meeting at: 8:52, by Denise
Motion seconded by: Mishelle

Motion Approved

Next meeting: 02/01/2017