All meeting minutes posted on the township website are unofficial minutes. Official copies of minutes may be obtained from the Vernon Township Department of Recreation and Community Development.

Minutes: February 3, 2010

Call the Meeting to Order: 7:38 p.m.

Statement of Compliance

Pursuant to the Open Public Meetings Act, Chapter 23, P.L. 1975 adequate notice as defined by Section 3D, Chapter 231, P.L. 1975 has been caused to be made to the following: The New Jersey Herald, daily and Sunday, AIM and the Advertiser-News, and is posted on the bulletin board reserved for that purpose in the Vernon Municipal Center.

Roll Call

Art Sinfield
Mary Bradley
Barbara Green
Mary Ellen Vichiconti—excused absence
Don Sledgeski
Robert Barrett—absent
Jason Rinker
Dave Bower—absent

Also Present

Pat Seger, Robert Oliver, Jessi Paladini, Natalie and Jose

Minutes

Approved as written and will be sent as PDF to Robin’s office.

Chairperson Report

Environmental Commission is looking into a Scenic Byway into Vernon, via Rt. 515. Vernon Township meets all 6 of criteria required.

Residents of Vernon need to be made aware of all that is available in Vernon, regarding activities, and parks.

Beautification sites in town to be taken care of by master gardeners.

Township boards need to work together for the good of Vernon

Economic Development Group meets 2nd Monday of the month. Historical Preservation Group meets 3rd Thursday of every month.

Committee Reports

Vernon Day being brought back to Vernon Township. This will be on a smaller scale but would like to have it in June. A 5K run and a Battle of the Bands could take place while we also could incorporate the opening of the new building at Maple Grange.

Another thought was to combine the day with 4th of July and the fireworks that the fire department has. There would be no charge for Vernon Day but there is a cost for the fireworks. Decision for date at our next meeting has to be done and permits needed.

Recreation Director Report

Recreation board needs to make a recommendation to the council on who is to run the concession stand. There are different options: sports groups that are 501(c)(3) may run it. It can be run independently or as a joint group of all sports or can be run through the manager. In the past, baseball and football have been interested but now we also have the option of soccer and lacrosse. Another concern is the consistency of making sure it is open when it should be. When stand is open it must meet all health regulations and that may include a certified food handler to be on the premises.

Discussion on allowing the building(s) to be reserved at times. An ordinance would be needed for reservations and would need prices for times of use. There is no limit on charging at Maple Grange but restrictions do apply at Vernon Crossings.

Concern on costs of sport teams that have use of areas for practice etc. We need to include the groups in how we handle the charges. Some teams are upset that they pay for equal time while 501(c)(3) organizations don’t. Need to have a recommendation before the council in March.

Correspondence was read from Vernon Youth Soccer about making soccer a year round sport. They request use of fields in summer which is a difficulty around other sports. Another request is that they not have to pay a fee for summer usage as in the policy of field ordinance 07-12. Recreation director will send out a letter in response that they would be free to practice in the summer if time and room was available but the fee would not be waived.

Possibility of a face book page for the recreation board.

Meeting schedule—2 meetings per month through June. One meeting from July to December.

Discussion on playground—include posting safety rules. Includes a discussion on the proposed skateboard park. If located within Maple Grange and in sight of the road no insurance increase.

Old Business

New Business

Natalie and Jose presented to the rec board request for rec to sponsor a charity run to benefit victims of sexual abuse. Natalie will do the work in getting donations and information. Rec will provide letter to sponsors on liability.

Event to be held at Maple Grange Park on April 11, 2010 in the a.m. Subcommittee to do advertising.

Discussion on fundraisers—included in Vernon Day: laser tag, paintball, presell tickets. Bike demos on safety also discussed.

Proclamation discussed for a certain month to be set aside as the Month of Recreation. Correspond to activities.

Open to Public

Jessi Paladini announced unsettling news concerning grants for Vernon had been lost. A $1.5 million grant had been lost as it had not been used in the allotted time. This was an open space grant.

Another grant was never signed properly so that was lost to the township but upon correct procedure should be reinstated to the township.

A resolution should be forwarded to the council to acquire the Masker Marsh property. It is critical for Maple Grange Park and the bike path.

Ms. Paladini wishes the recreation board to write a letter to encourage the council to purchase Masker Marsh.

The Historical Society has received a $25,000 state grant for trail management and trail improvement.

The recreation board will not be given approval for Frisbee golf to be played on the site but other activities may be granted approval such as picnicking.

Next Meeting: February 17, 2010

Meeting adjourned at 9:48 p.m.