All meeting minutes posted on the township website are unofficial minutes. Official copies of minutes may be obtained from the Vernon Township Department of Recreation and Community Development.
Minutes: February 15, 2012
The regular meeting was called to order at 7:35 p.m. by Mary Bradley.
Board Members in Attendance
Diane Cook Mary
Board members Frank Annunziata, Ellen Vichiconti and Don Sledgeski were excused.
Also in Attendance
Motion to approve February 1, 2012 meeting minutes made by Justine Annunziata, seconded by Raeline Kennedy.
First meeting for National Night Out committee to be held on February 27th at 6:00 p.m. Thereafter the committee will meet once a month for the months of February, March, and April.
Vernon Day committee will meet soon. Need to first meet with the fire marshal regarding regulations for vendors.
Open to the Public
Jennifer Polizzos, president of Vernon Youth Soccer, announced a soccer tournament to be held the March 24-25. Over 70 teams will be participating. VYS extended an invitation to the recreation board to set-up tables that weekend and asked if there were any donations that could be made.
Re-Cap of Teen Meeting
- Town-wide talent show—not feasible
- Volleyball court at Maple Grange Park—will be looked into
- Bus trips to New York City—not feasible
- Vernon Sports Day at Maple Grange Park—conclude with an outdoor summer movie
- Shuttle bus service to Rockaway Mall—not feasible
- Nature hikes—good idea for families as well. Will contact George Lightcap about leading hikes
- Summer-time town play—not feasible
- Summer-time giant hide-n-seek or manhunt game—can incorporate into National Night Out
- Also suggested holding a Teen Night at Maple Grange Park
Recreation Director Report
- The senior center board turned down an informal proposal to use the senior center in the afternoon for the teen center.
- Teen center meeting to be held Friday, February 3, at 5:00 p.m. Will be working on a formal proposal for the town council.
- “Couch to 5K” program will begin April 22 and run through June 10.
- Upcoming meeting with representatives from the Girl Scouts regional office. Interested in being more involved with town recreation.
- Sports organization round table/field assignment meeting scheduled for Thursday, February 16, 2012.
- At the latest town council meeting it was announced that notices for the Maple Grange and Veterans’ Memorial Park snack bar bids will be going out.
Meeting adjourned at 9:30 p.m.