All meeting minutes posted on the township website are unofficial minutes. Official copies of minutes may be obtained from the Vernon Township Department of Recreation and Community Development.
Minutes: August 17, 2009
Call the Meeting to Order: 7:40 p.m.
Absent: Dave Bower and Don Sledgeski
June minutes read and approved with one spelling correction.
Recreation Director Report
Summer Recreation Program
- 47 full time students with about 80 students total.
- 683 families used online registration for sports and things while more than 700 children were registered.
- Back to nature was the only program cancelled.
- Most programs had same numbers as 2008.
- Maple Grange Summer “Walkathon” 21 signed up via the web.
Discussed the Recreation Budget Amounts
- Trust fund dedicated fund for fields “carpet.”
- 3 accounts—classes, sports and fields.
- Baseball games are a 4/5 profit making but aren’t affiliated with us.
- Budget for 2010 is being worked on.
- Building arrives week of August 24, 2009.
- Discussion of a Request for Proposal (RFP) to go out to groups to rent the building.
- Most towns run these buildings on a flat fee or a flat fee with a percentage.
- Discussion on cost and rental of building:
- profit group or non profit
- what will be permitted to be used at the building by groups
- township groups don’t pay for the fields
- Capital improvements to go green at MP—i.e. lighting:
- discussed dusk to dawn lights
- solar panels on building—Robert Barrett offered to look into and help on this matter
- August 28, 2009 Pep Rally
- September 4, 2009 Kick Off Dance at the Crossings
- Black Creek Pow Wow September 27, 2009—no games on this day.
- Discussion of a 5K marathon for fall or spring. Other events at the same time, such as a band or a bike ride also. Maybe hold a practice for the fall.
- Still waiting to hear on approval of Frisbee golf location.
Next meeting September 16, 2009
Meeting adjourned at 9:20 p.m.