Ordinance No. 19-20
Introduced: August 26, 2019
Public Hearing: September 9, 2019
An Ordinance of the Township of Vernon, County of Sussex, State of New Jersey, Creating Chapter 408 of the Municipal Code of the Township of Vernon Entitled “Parking, Veterans”
WHEREAS, the Township of Vernon (“Township”) has many residents that are military veterans whom have honorably served their country; and
WHEREAS, a determination has been made to reserve parking spaces for military veterans at various public parking lots.
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED by the by the Township Council of the Township of Vernon as follows:
SECTION 1. Chapter 408 of the Municipal Code of the Township of Vernon is hereby established as follows:
Chapter 408 PARKING, VETERANS
§ 408-1. Definitions.
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have the meanings indicated:
VETERAN—an individual who, through the possession of a DD214 Form, or Active Military identification card, Reserve identification card, Dependent identification card, Retired identification card, Veteran identification card, Honorable Discharge Certificate, General Discharge Certificate, and satisfies one or more of the following criteria:
- A person currently serving in the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard, or their reserve components, or the Army National Guard or the Air National Guard; or
- A person having served in the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard and having received a general discharge or higher; or
- A person having served in any combination of United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard, or their reserve components, or the Army National Guard or the Air National Guard and having received a general discharge or higher.
§ 408-2. Courtesy Parking Spaces for Veterans.
- Two parking spaces shall be designated in the parking lots of the following facilities for Veterans:
- Town Hall;
- Veterans Memorial Park; and
- Maple Gange Park.
SECTION 2. Each section of this ordinance is an independent section, and the holding of any section or part thereof to be unconstitutional, void or ineffective for any cause shall not be deemed to affect the validity of constitutionality of any other sections or parts thereof.
SECTION 3. Any ordinances or parts thereof in conflict with the provisions of this Ordinance are hereby repealed as to their inconsistencies only.
SECTION 4. This Ordinance shall take effect immediately upon final passage, approval, and publication by law.