Ordinance No. 19-18
Introduced: July 22, 2019
Public Hearing: August 5, 2019
An Ordinance of the Township of Vernon, County of Sussex, State of New Jersey, Authorizing the Collection of a Tax of One Half (1/2) Cent Per One Hundred (100) Dollars of Assessed Value, to Be Dedicated to Recreation, Said Tax to Be Collected for a Period of Ten (10) Years Beginning in the Year 2020
WHEREAS, the Township Council has the obligation to act in the best interests of the health, safety and welfare of the residents of the Township; and
WHEREAS, the Township Council requires to have sufficient funds to continue the Township“s recreation programs; and
WHEREAS, the Township Council has determined it to be in the public interest to create a tax to raise funds solely for the Township“s recreation programs; and
WHEREAS, the Township Council wishes to ask the voters if they would like to authorize same; and
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED by the by the Township Council of the Township of Vernon, County of Sussex, State of New Jersey as follows:
- The Township is hereby authorized to collect a tax of one half (1/2) cent per one hundred (100) dollars of assessed property value for a period of ten (10) years beginning in the year 2020, with said tax dollars to be dedicated to recreation.
- Funds collected from this tax shall be placed in a dedicated account and only be used for the purposes of recreation, for example but not by way of limitation to purchase recreation equipment or to build and maintain township recreational fields.
- This Ordinance shall be the subject of a binding referendum which shall be placed on the ballot as a public question during the general election, which will be held on November 5, 2019. This Ordinance shall take effect only after publication and passage according to law and after it is approved by the voters by way of binding referendum.
- If any section or provision hereof shall be adjudged invalid or illegal, such determination shall not affect the other provisions hereof which shall remain in full force and effect. All ordinances or parts of ordinances or resolutions which are inconsistent with the provisions of this Ordinance are repealed to the extent of such inconsistency.
- The following referendum question shall be submitted to the voters of the Township of Vernon as a public question on the November 5, 2019, general election ballot.
Shall the Township of Vernon be permitted to collect a tax of one half (1/2) cent per one hundred (100) dollars of assessed property value for a period of ten (10) years beginning in the year 2020, with said tax dollars to be dedicated to recreation. Funds collected from this tax shall be placed in a dedicated account exclusively and only be used for the purpose of recreation, for example to purchase recreation equipment or to build and maintain township recreation fields.
The Township of Vernon is a four season community with active participation in outdoor recreation activities. This referendum shall authorize the collection of a tax of one half (1/2) of one cent per hundred dollars of assessed property value, which shall be placed in a dedicated fund for the sole purpose of recreational activities. Purposes for these funds shall include but shall not be limited to the purchase of recreational equipment by the Township and/or the building and maintaining of Township recreational fields. This tax shall be collected commencing in 2020 and shall continue for a period of ten (10) years.