Ordinance No. 16-26
Introduced: November 14, 2016
Public Hearing: November 28, 2016
An ordinance amending sections 5-84 to 5-89 of the code of the Township of Vernon regarding the environmental commission
BE IT ORDAINED by the Township Council of the Township of Vernon, County of Sussex and State of New Jersey that Chapter 5 of the Code of the Township of Vernon is hereby amended as follows:
SECTION I. Sections 5-84 to 5-89 are hereby replaced as follows:
ARTICLE XIV Environmental Commission
§5-84. Commission continued; purpose of Commission.
A. Pursuant to the provisions of N.J.S.A. 40:56A-1 et seq., an Environmental Commission of five members is hereby continued.
§5-85. Members; alternate members; appointment; terms; vacancies.
- A Commission shall consist of five members appointed by the Mayor, one of whom shall also be a member of the Land Use Board, and all of whom shall be Township residents. The members shall serve without compensation.
- The Mayor shall designate one of the members to serve as Chairperson of the Commission.
- The terms of office of the Commissioners shall be for three years and be staggered.
§5-86. Powers of Commission.
- The Commission shall have power to conduct research into the use and possible use of the open land areas of the Township and may coordinate the activities of unofficial bodies organized for similar purposes.
- The Commission may advertise, prepare, print and distribute books, maps, charts, plans and pamphlets which, in its judgment, it deems necessary for its purposes.
- The Commission shall keep an index of all open areas, publicly or privately owned, including open marshlands, swamps and other wetlands, in order to obtain information on the proper use of such areas.
- The Commission may from time to time recommend to the Land Use Board plans and programs for inclusion in a Township Master Plan and the development and use of the open areas of the Township.
§5-87. Records and annual report.
The Commission shall keep records of its meetings and activities and shall make an annual report to the Council.
The Council may, but is not required to, appropriate funds for the expenses incurred by the Commission. The Commission may appoint a recording secretary and payment for the same shall be within the limits of funds appropriated to the Commission, if any.
§5-89. (Reserved for future use.)
SECTION II. If any article, section, subsection, sentence, clause or phrase of this Ordinance is, for any reason, held to be unconstitutional or invalid, such decision shall not affect the remaining portions of this Ordinance and they shall remain in full force and effect.
SECTION III. In the event of any inconsistencies between the provisions of this Ordinance and any prior ordinance of the Township, the provisions hereof shall be determined to govern. All other ordinances of the Township are hereby ratified and confirmed, except where inconsistent with the terms hereof.
SECTION IV. This Ordinance shall take effect on December 31, 2016.