Ordinance No. 16-20
Introduced: July 25, 2016
Public Hearing: November 28, 2016
An ordinance of the Township of Vernon, County of Sussex, and State of New Jersey prohibiting commercial vehicles from using Vernon View Drive Bridge
WHEREAS, the Valley View Homeowner’s Association, Inc. owns a private bridge located along Vernon View Drive near its intersection with Glenwood Road/County Route 565 in the Township of Vernon (“Township”); and
WHEREAS, the Township Engineer has determined that the bridge is in need of immediate repair, improvement and rehabilitation to render it suitably safe and functional; and
WHEREAS, due to the present condition of the bridge, the Township Engineer has determined that it can no longer safely accommodate heavy vehicles including commercial vehicles; and
WHEREAS, for safety concerns, the Township Engineer has recommended that use of the bridge be immediately restricted to prohibit all commercial vehicles from using the Vernon View Drive Bridge until such time as the bridge is repaired to the satisfaction of the Township; and
WHEREAS, the Chief of Police concurs that a restriction is appropriate due to the present condition of the bridge; and
WHEREAS, the Township Council deems it to be in the best interest of the Township to place a restriction on the use of the bridge until it is fully repaired.
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED, by the Township Council of the Township of Vernon, in the County of Sussex, and State of New Jersey, as follows:
- Vehicles registered as commercial vehicles or having commercial license plates are prohibited from using the Vernon View Drive Bridge until such time as the bridge is repaired to the satisfaction of the Township Engineer.
- This restriction shall not apply to firetrucks or ambulances responding to an emergency.
- The Township Department of Public Works is hereby authorized to immediately post appropriate warning signs at the intersection of Glenwood Road/County Route 565 and Vernon View Drive indicating that commercial vehicles are prohibited from using the bridge regardless of weight.
- A copy of this ordinance shall be mailed to all property owners belonging to the Valley View Homeowner’s Association, Inc. as well as the Sussex County Administrator.
- In the event of any inconsistencies between the provisions of this Ordinance and any prior ordinance of the Township, the provisions hereof shall be determined to govern. All other ordinances of the Township are hereby ratified and confirmed, except where inconsistent with the terms hereof.
- If any article, section, subsection, sentence, clause or phrase of this Ordinance is, for any reason, held to be unconstitutional or invalid, such decision shall not affect the remaining portions of this Ordinance and they shall remain in full force and effect.
- This Ordinance shall take effect immediately upon final passage and publication according to law.