Ordinance No. 10-08
Introduced: May 27, 2010
Public Hearing: June 24, 2010
An ordinance of the Township of Vernon modifying positions eligible for the defined contribution retirement program
WHEREAS, the State Legislature adopted N.J.S.A. 43:15C-1, et seq. to create the Defined Contribution Retirement Program to provide retirement benefits to various county and municipal officials; and
WHEREAS, N.J.S.A. 43:15C-2 requires the governing body of each county, municipality, and other local entity to adopt, as appropriate, either a resolution or ordinance to determine the positions that are substantially similar in nature to the advice and consent of the Senate for appointments by the Governor of the State, pursuant to guidelines or policy that shall be established by the Local Finance Board in the Department of Community Affairs, and for which officials appointed to such positions shall be eligible for and shall participate in the Defined Contribution Retirement Program, subject to the provisions of law; and
WHEREAS the Council of the Township of Vernon, has considered the guidelines issues by the Local Finance Board.
THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED by the Council of the Township of Vernon as follows:
- Pursuant to N.J.S.A. 43:15C-2, the following positions are deemed to be eligible for and shall participate in the Defined Contribution Retirement Program:
- Township Council Members;
- Township Manager
- Pursuant to N.J.S.A. 43:15C-2, the following positions are deemed exempt from participation in the Defined Contribution Retirement Program membership:
- Certified Health Officer;
- Tax Collector;
- Chief Financial Officer;
- Construction Code Official;
- Tax Assessor;
- Registered Municipal Clerk;
- Licensed Uniform Subcode Inspector;
- Principal Public Works Manager;
- Qualified Purchasing Agent.
- This ordinance shall be implemented, construed and subject to the aforesaid N.J.S.A 43:15C-1 et seq. as amended from time to time, and any regulations or guidance documents from the Local Finance Board or the Division of Pensions and Benefits.
- Should any part or parts of this ordinance be held to be invalid by any competent court of law, such invalidity shall only affect the part or parts held to be invalid, and all other parts shall remain in effect.
- A copy of this ordinance shall be filed with the Director of the Division of Pensions & Benefits of the New Jersey Department of the Treasury.
- This ordinance shall take effect in accordance with law.