All meeting minutes posted on the township website are unofficial minutes. Official copies of minutes may be obtained from the township clerk.

Minutes: November 30, 2006

Meeting was called to order by Donna Wilson.

Statement of Compliance

The following statement of compliance was read by Donna Wilson. Pursuant to the Open Public Meetings Act, Chapter 231, P.L. 1975 adequate notice as defined in Section 3D of Chapter 231, P.L. 1975 has been forwarded to the New Jersey Herald and published on February 3, 2006. Notice is also posted on the bulletin board and filed with the office of the Township Clerk.

Roll Call of Members

The roll call of members was called and Charles Bates, Dick Wetzel, Charles Blessing, Dolores Dobbs, Christopher Hanke, and Donna Wilson answered the call.

Meeting Opened to the Public

Town council member, Glenn McLaughlin, advised the HPC that he will be the new town council liaison to the HPC. He provided the HPC with his contact phone numbers.

The HPC welcomed Glenn McLaughlin and informed him about the HPC’s projects and goals.

Approval of Minutes

Charles Bates made a motion to approve the October 26, 2006 minutes; Dick Wetzel seconded the motion.

Old Business

Board of Education Building

The planning board meeting was cancelled. Review of the resolution will be carried to the next PB meeting.

Listing of the Cemeteries

Donna Wilson will request a list from the VHS. Christopher Hanke questioned the tax status of the Glenwood Cemetery due to the house located on the property. Charles Blessing stated there is a block and lot number for the Glenwood Cemetery. Charles Bates stated that the cemetery in the center of town is owned by both churches and possibly has two block and lot identifications. Charles Blessing stated that Bob Longcore has a list identifying a total of 37 cemeteries in town.

The cemetery issues will be researched and reviewed at future meetings. The HPC agreed to request Bob Longcore attend an HPC meeting to discuss this topic.

Denton-Wallace House

The PB voted and approved the resolution. It will go to Fred Suljic for public notice and on to the town council. The process was discussed and the HPC remains unclear as to the exact steps involved. Glenn McLaughlin stated he would request an outline of the steps involved and inquire about possible ways of decreasing the amount of time to complete the process.

Photos & Cards

The HPC informed Glenn McLaughlin about the ongoing project. Charles Blessing stated he did not believe Fred Suljic was putting the list into the Master Plan. The list is being reviewed by Ron Dupont. Charles Blessing also stated that Ron Dupont was very impressed with the HPC list and the work the HPC has done on the project.

Charles Belssing will not be at the December meeting, however, Ron Dupont should be finished with his review before the January meeting.

Charles Blessing asked the HPC if the commission wants the VHS to review the list after Ron Dupont completes his review. The HPC agreed.

Marker at St. Thomas Church

Charles Bates offered to inspect the marker to determine if the correction has been made.

Other Historic Sites

The HPC discussed other sites in town that are eligible. Charles Blessing advised he did not get an opportunity to speak with the Kadish’s. Donna Wilson stated she spoke to Jessi Paladini and Ms. Paladini said she would be happy to speak with the Kadish’s and advise of their response.

The Sea Captain’s House is owned by Bruce Zaretsky. He has stated he does not want restrictions.

Donna Wilson talked with the owner of the Cedar Mill. They were not interested.

The owners of the train station on Vernon Crossing Road are considering designation.

They are concerned about the impact if the property is sold. They were advised the HPC can only make recommendations regarding the facade. If they were to change windows, door, etc. they would have to come before the commission.

Christopher Hanke suggested that an informative brochure should be created for property owner. The HPC agree to research.

New Business

Ferrier Martin

Charles Blessing stated he did not feel Ferrier Martin should remain a member if he can not attend the meetings. Ferrier Martin has advised that due to poor eyesight he can not drive at night. In addition, his wife is ill. He will forward a letter of resignation to the HPC. The HPC agreed Ferrier Martin is very knowledgeable and the HPC would like to maintain communication with him as a resource contact.

Budget

Chris Hanke asked Glenn McLaughlin about the hotel tax. Glenn stated the town did not receive a large amount. A few of the hotel/bed & breakfast businesses did not provide the necessary figures.

The marker program, informative brochures, maps, and the lack of town funds were discussed with Glenn McLaughlin. Dick Wetzel suggested assigning Stacy Zurbach to researching grants.

Dick Wetzel told Glenn McLaughlin that he feels the town needs to decide how they would like the HPC to proceed. Without support and funds from the town the HPC work is limited.

Walking Tour

Charles Blessing suggested a self-guided walking tour of Town Center or along Breakneck Road and the brook, ending at the tracks. All agreed this would be a good idea, however, it is an idea for the future. There are some issues that would need to be resolved including the purchase of land or establishing right-a-ways.

Record Keeping

Charles Bates suggested that the HPC should maintain a log to track projects. Dolores Dobbs suggested the use of a 3-ring binder. Donna Wilson questioned where would the binder be stored. Christopher Hanke stated the meeting minutes should serve as the record. Charles Blessing did not feel a log was necessary.

Application Review

ZB #0-06-11: Sally Rinker—Final Site Plan

The HPC did not review. Applicant withdrew application.

ZB #3-04-4: Surjit Singh—Variance to Construct Canopy & Site Plan Approval

The HPC did not review. Applicant withdrew application.

PB #12-06-16: Andrew Borsiuk—Minor Subdivision

The HPC did not review. Applicant withdrew application.

PB #12-06-17: Patrick Turzi—Preliminary Major Site Plan

The HPC agreed the application did not create significant historic impact.

PB #11-06-16: Thomas Welch—Minor Site Plan—Block 81, Lot 2.07

The HPC agreed the application did not create significant historic impact.

Adjournment

There being no further items of business for the Regular Meeting, a motion was made by Christopher Hanke to adjourn the meeting; Charles Bates seconded the motion. The regular meeting of the Vernon Township Historic Preservation Commission was adjourned at 10:05 p.m.