All meeting minutes posted on the township website are unofficial minutes. Official copies of minutes may be obtained from the township clerk.

Minutes: May 25, 2006

Meeting was called to order by Donna Wilson at 7:22 p.m.

Statement of Compliance

The following statement of compliance was read by Donna Wilson. Pursuant to the Open Public Meetings Act, Chapter 231, P.L. 1975 adequate notice as defined in Section 3D of Chapter 231, P.L. 1975 has been forwarded to the New Jersey Herald and published on February 3, 2006. Notice is also posted on the bulletin board and filed with the office of the Township Clerk.

Roll Call of Members

The roll call of members was called and Dolores Dobbs, Henry Capro, Dick Wetzel, Charles Bates, Ferrier Martin, Charles Blessing, Christopher Hanke, and Donna Wilson answered the call.

Approval of Minutes

Christopher Hanke made a motion to approve the March 23, 2006 minutes as amended; Charles Bates seconded the motion.

Meeting Opened to the Public

No members of the public were present.

Historical Society Liaison Report

Dolores Dobbs reported the Historical Society received a donation of two Revolutionary War coats and vests, a walking stick, a pipe and other miscellaneous items. All of the items are now on display at the library and will be in the possession of the Historical Society for future display. Dolores Dobbs added that all of the items are reproductions.

Dolores Dobbs reported that she attempts to contact the state at least once per week to discuss the Barrett House, however, to date the lease has not been resolved.

Denton-Wallace House Resolution

All members eligible to approve the Denton-Wallace House resolution, voted in favor of memorializing the resolution.

Old Business

Status of Baxter Homestead Ordinance

Donna Wilson reported the ordinance was read before the town council. Charles Blessing added that the ordinance has been rewritten to delete the Longwell/Drew Cemetery.

The revised Baxter ordinance was re-submitted for a first reading at the last town council meeting and it will be presented for a second reading on June 12th.

Status of Longwell/Drew Cemetery

Donna Wilson reported the cemetery does not have its own lot and block and it cannot be designated without a lot and block. The HPC discussed how to establish a lot and block for the cemetery.

Board of Education Building

Charles Bates reported that Dick Wetzel and he are prepared to present the HPC with information pertaining to the historic designation of the Board of Education building. Said presentation will be listed on the June HPC agenda.

Budget Update

Donna Wilson reported she has not received the amount of the new budget.

Photo/Card Review

Donna Wilson reported there are three separate lists of houses, cemeteries, markers, etc which need to be combined into one complete list. Four members spent approximately four hours working on the list a few weeks ago and completed 1/4 of the list. The HPC decided to hold a work session on Thursday, June 15th at 6:00 to continue work on the list. Said work session date will be published in the official newspaper of the HPC.

Status of the County Sign at St. Thomas Church

Hank Capro reported the county installed the sign in front of the church without notification. There is a spelling error on the sign which needs to be corrected. Upon correction of the error the HPC will schedule a ceremony.

Glenwood Management Project

Donna Wilson reported that it is Rick Patterson’s opinion that the area to be disturbed by the project is not of archeological significance due to the large amount of fill.

The HPC agreed that due to the depth of the fill Phase I Mitigation would not uncover any artifacts.

New Business

EBI Consulting

Invitation to comment on proposed telecommunications project. Hank Capro explained this is a cell dish to be attached to an existing electrical tower on Mt. Creek property. The HPC agreed the project does not create historic impact.

Historic List

Donna Wilson reported that at Earthfest a homeowner questioned if her home was on the HPC list because the structure dates to approximately 1825. The homeowner indicated that it is lot 11. Donna Wilson requested Charles Blessing check the list.

Cultural Resource Firm

The HPC received correspondence regarding the federal Historic Preservation Tax Incentive. Donna Wilson said this is the type of information the HPC will be including in its brochure.

New Properties for Historic Designation

Charles Blessing questioned the status of enlisting new properties interested in historic designation. Donna Wilson reported she spoke with the owner of the Cider Mill and they require a brochure listing the pros and cons of designation. Charles Bates reported he is pursuing the Mixing Bowl. Dick Wetzel offered to speak with the owner of the Place By the Track Deli.

Vernon Website

Charles Blessing asked the HPC if they would be interested in submitting an HPC update in the town’s quarterly newsletter on the Vernon website. Charles Blessing offered to prepare a draft.

Application Review

PB #2-06-2: Riccobono Development, LLC—Revised Plan

The HPC agreed the application does not create significant historic impact.

PB #5-06-6: Michael & Gail McKenzie—Minor Subdivision and Revisions for Minor Subdivision

The HPC agreed the application does not create significant historic impact.

PB #5-06-5: Monica Kafil—Major Subdivision Concept Plan

The HPC agreed they require a complete application and testimony at the planning board level as to the age and history of the property.

PB #6-06-7: William & Susan Bravenboer—Minor Subdivision

The HPC agreed the application does not create significant historic impact.

ZB #9-04-20: New Cingular Wireless PCS, LLC—Use Variance & Final Site Plan

The HPC agreed the application does not create significant historic impact.

ZB #5-06-9: Tall Timbers Property Owners—Use Variance, Preliminary & Final Site Plan

The HPC agreed the application requires further investigation. The master plan historic list contains a property with a similar lot and block.

ZB #4-06-7A: Andrew Borsiuk—Minor Subdivision

The HPC agreed the application does not create significant historic impact.

ZB #9-05-18: Glenwood Management, LP—Revised Maps, Revised Architectural Plans & Stormwater Maintenance Manual

The HPC agreed due to large amounts of fill on the property, no artifacts will be uncovered.

Crystal Springs Builders—Preliminary Major Subdivision, Preliminary Major Site Plan, Conditional Use Site Plan and Planning Variance

The HPC agreed the application will not create historic impact.

Adjournment

There being no further items of business for the regular meeting, a motion was made by Christopher Hanke to adjourn the meeting; Hank Capro seconded the motion. The regular meeting of the Vernon Township Historic Preservation Commission was adjourned at 9:35 p.m.