All meeting minutes posted on the township website are unofficial minutes. Official copies of minutes may be obtained from the township clerk.

Minutes: February 23, 2006

Meeting was called to order by Donna Wilson at 7:20 p.m.

Statement of Compliance

The following statement of compliance was read by Donna Wilson. Pursuant to the Open Public Meetings Act, Chapter 231, P.L. 1975 adequate notice as defined in Section 3D of Chapter 231, P.L. 1975 has been forwarded to the New Jersey Herald and published on February 3, 2006. Notice is also posted on the bulletin board and filed with the office of the Township Clerk.

Roll Call of Members

The roll call of members was called and Henry Capro, Charles Bates, Andrew Borsiuk (arrived at 7:28 p.m.), Charles Blessing, Christopher Hanke, and Donna Wilson answered the call. Town council liaison Phil Weiler was present.

Approval of Minutes

Charles Bates made a motion to approve the January 26, 2006 minutes as amended; Charles Blessing seconded the motion.

Meeting Opened to the Public

No members of the public were present.

Historical Society Liaison Report

Dolores Dobbs was not present, therefore, Donna Wilson reported the details of the February 21st meeting with the state. Present at the February 21st meeting were Dolores Dobbs, Hank Capro, Donna Wilson, Janet Morrison, three representatives from the state, a representative from Senator Littell’s office, Rick Patterson, Ron Dupont, and two representatives from the Appalachian Trail Commission. The main concern at the meeting was the possibility that the state may demolish the museum because of the roof leak. Donna Wilson reported that the state has no intentions of demolishing the building.

At the meeting the state was made aware of the large number of historic sites located within the boundaries of Waywayanda State Park.

The Appalachian Trail Commission was interested in working with the state and the Historical Society to use the Barrett House Museum for other functions as well as the museum.

If the lease for the Barrett House Museum is signed and approved by the state, maintenance of the building is the responsibility of the Historical Society. Therefore, the Historical Society will be required to pay for the repair of the roof. The current estimate for the cost of the repair is $3,200.00 not including plans and permits. The HPC discussed the benefits of receiving other price quotes. Andrew Borsiuk advised the HPC that he has enough shingles to cover the roof and he would be willing to donate them for the Barrett House Museum repair.

The HPC discussed a few fund-raising options.

Hank Capro discussed the possibility of the lodging tax as a funding source.

New Business

Possible Relocation Site for Historic Buildings

Chris Hanke questioned the HPC if the vacant property on Church Street was a feasible location to move historic structures and thereby create an historic district. Chris Hanke stated that he hoped there was a way to maintain the “flavor” of Vernon as the “new” Vernon is created.

Consultant Presentation at Town Council Meeting

Charlie Blessing reported that the town’s consultant made a presentation of the town center plans at the town council meeting. Two of the three concepts that were presented did not include the Board of Education building.

The HPC discussed what portion of the Board of Education building is original and would have historic value Phil Weiler stated that he would bring copies of the consultant’s plan to the next meeting.

Earthfest

Donna Wilson asked the HPC if any of the members would be able to participate at the HPC table. She advised that the HPC table would have brochures explaining grants and tax incentives available for historic properties. Hank Capro volunteered to help at the table.

Old Business

Glenwood Management Project in McAfee

Donna Wilson reported that she contacted Rick Patterson regarding the project’s proximity to the lime kiln and questioned his opinion of the historic value of the property in question. To date she has not received Mr. Patterson’s comment or opinion.

Charlie Blessing advised the HPC it was his understanding that the HPC had agreed at the last meeting to contact the developer to question their intentions if an artifact was unearthed during excavation. Phil Weiler responded that a condition of the zoning board would be a more effective way to address unearthed artifacts.

Donna Wilson explained that the reason for questioning Rick Patterson was to determine if the potential for unearthing artifacts exists.

Baxter Homestead and Longwell/Drew Cemetery Resolutions

Both resolutions have been approved by the PB and the ordinances are being written by the town attorney.

Future Designations

Donna Wilson requested the HPC pursue properties which were previously interested in designation as well as properties which may have new interest in designation. Ron DuPont has advised that he will be prepared to submit the LaBar application at the next HPC meeting.

Hank Capro advised that he is coordinating the clean-up of the Brown Farm.

The HPC discussed documentation of the “Hanke site” where Phase I mitigation unearthed a concentration of artifacts while the site was being considered for construction of a post office. Christopher Hanke suggested future construction on the property should not be prevented, however, the property should be documented and the excavation and collection of the artifacts should be required prior to any construction. Donna Wilson will speak to the owner of the Cider Mill and Hank Capro will speak to the owner of the Cardinal Art Gallery.

Donna Wilson suggested contacting the owner of the Vernon Inn.

Budget Update

Donna Wilson reported she has not received a response from Don Teolis to date. Phil Weiler advised that he would speak to Don Teolis.

Status of County Sign at St. Thomas Church

Hank Capro reported that the county is waiting for the weather to break. He will contact St. Thomas regarding a date.

Application Review

PB #9-05-11: Festival Fun Parks/Mtn. Creek—Revised Preliminary & Final Site Plan

The HPC agreed the application does not create significant historic impact.

PB #2-06-3: Main Street Associates (Highlands State Bank)—Amended Site Plan w/Sign Variances

The HPC agreed the application does not create significant historic impact.

PB #2-06-1: Michael Pappa—Minor Site Plan

The HPC agreed the application does not create significant historic impact.

PB #12-05-13: Mitelin Motors—Revised Site Plan, Survey & Architectural Drawings

The HPC agreed the application does not create significant historic impact.

ZB #9-05-18: Glenwood Management—Revised Plans

The HPC agreed they are waiting for further investigation.

Adjournment

There being no further items of business for the Regular Meeting, a motion was made by Hank Capro to adjourn the meeting; Charles Bates seconded the motion. The regular meeting of the Vernon Township Historic Preservation Commission was adjourned at 9:25 p.m.