All meeting minutes posted on the township website are unofficial minutes. Official copies of minutes may be obtained from the township clerk.

Minutes: August 22, 2013

Note: There is no recording for this meeting. The minutes were prepared using handwritten notes taken by Cynthia Davis.

Note: There was no HPC meeting in July due to no quorum.

Mr. Bates, Chair, called the meeting to order at 7:13 p.m.

Statement of Compliance

Pursuant to the Open Public Meetings Act, Chapter 231 P.L., 1975, adequate notice as defined in Section 3D of Chapter 231, P.L. 1975, had been forwarded and published in the New Jersey Herald on February 1, 2013. Notice is also posted on the bulletin board and filed with the office of the Township Clerk.

Roll Call of Members

Charles BatesP
Christopher HankeP
Stephen SokolewiczP
Ted LaabsP
Andrew Borisuk (arrived at 7:30 p.m.)P
Carol Gunn KadishNP

Meeting Opened to the Public

No one came forward.

Closed Meeting to the Public

Minutes

June 20, 2013

The minutes were reviewed and approved by a motion made by Mr. Hanke and seconded by Sokolewicz. All were in favor.

Old Business

Policy of Demolition of Buildings

Mr. Bates reported that he spoke with Craig Rowland (zoning officer) who is willing to rush information to Mr. Bates in order to make the HPC aware of any building that has an application submitted to planning/zoning to be demolished. This is important as the HPC would like to document any historic properties by photos, etc. Mr. Rowland advised Mr. Bates that he is still waiting for a list of historic properties.

Mr. Bates asked if someone would volunteer to put together a proposed addendum to the ordinance that would be used to notify the HPC or other interested parties of a historic structure's application for demolition. He would like the HPC to have enough time to take preventative measures to record the history of the site. Mr. Borisuk suggested that the HPC chair be notified of the demolition permit being issued and then the chair could decide whether or not a special meeting should be called.

Attendance

Mr. Bates discussed attendance and asked the members to schedule the HPC meetings on their calendars so that several months don't go by without a meeting due to not having a quorum.

High School HPC Student Representative

Mr. Sokolewicz reported that he made contact with the high school for a student representative. He said the guidance department had not gotten back to him yet. Mr. Bates will call Tim Dunnigan.

Mr. Sokolewicz suggested asking the VFW for any interested members to join the HPC. Mr. Hanke commented that it was always an advantage to have a real estate person on the HPC and he volunteered to write an ad asking for prospective members to be sent to the local newspaper.

Vernon Inn

Mr. Bates reported that he visited the Vernon Inn at 3:30 one day, as it was suggested to go at another time other than the lunch hour. He was unable to speak with anyone who could make decisions as only the kitchen employees were present at that time.

Glenwood Historic Area

Mr. Sokolewicz discussed the Glenwood community presentation. Mr. Borisuk feels it is best to meet somewhere in the Glenwood community such as Harry Vance's place. Mr. Laabs feels it's important to show the community the benefits of making a historic area there. Mr. Borisuk added that the residents should know that there are no negatives to this project, such as showing the homeowners that they can make any changes to their homes and only have to use "like" materials. Mr. Bates would like Mr. Sokolewicz to put together a PowerPoint presentation for the HPC to review for the September meeting.

New Business

Walker Homestead, Drew Homestead

Mr. Bates reported that the owner of the Drew Farm would like to go forward with an application for historic memorialization. Mr. Sokolewicz volunteered to work on the application after he finishes the presentation for Glenwood.

Holly Lodge

Mr. Hanke is working on the memorialization for a log cabin in Highland Lakes built in the late 1930s or early 40s. The owners are interested.

Applications to Review

LU #8-13-6: Joseph Rogers, Sr., Bulk & Use Variance for Sheds

LU #8-13-5: William Ludwig, Height Variance for a Shed

The HPC members reviewed the above applications and determined that there is no historical significance in connection with these sites.

Adjournment

A motion was made to adjourn the HPC meeting by Mr. Laabs and seconded by Mr. Borisuk at 8:21 p.m. All were in favor.

Transcribed by Cynthia Davis on September 4, 2013.