What We Do
The primary goal of the Vernon Township Department of Fire Prevention is to prevent fires by assuring that all publicly occupied structures are maintained in accordance with New Jersey’s Uniform Fire Code (N.J.A.C. 5:70 et seq.), Uniform Fire Safety Act (N.J.S.A. 52:27D-192 et seq.) and nationally recognized fire safety standards.
The department, currently staffed by a full-time fire marshal, one part-time inspector and one part-time clerical person, carries out the following duties:
- conducts reoccupancy and smoke detector inspections when a home is sold, leased or a change of occupancy occurs
- conducts all annual inspections of businesses and commercial buildings
- issues fire safety permits for certain activities pursuant to New Jersey’s Uniform Fire Code (N.J.A.C. 5:70-2.7)
- assists township businesses with setting up and operating within the guidelines set forth in New Jersey’s Uniform Fire Code
- responds to and investigates all fires occurring within the township
- investigates complaints with regard to activities such as open burning, fire alarm activations, illegal fireworks and fire lane blockages
The department makes speakers available to local civic groups and businesses to discuss and promote fire safety. Some of the topics we can address are as follows:
- general fire safety
- carbon monoxide emergencies
- proper use of fire extinguishers
- how to make your residence or business safer
If your group or business is interested in having us give a presentation, please contact the department at 973.764.4055, ext. 2271.