The Vernon Township Department of Finance oversees the township’s financial operations.
Together with Chief Financial Officer Donelle Bright DeCouto, it establishes and maintains a general accounting system for the township government and each of its departments. In doing so, it is responsible for the disbursement of all monies and controls all expenditures to ensure that budget appropriations are not exceeded.
Additonal duties and responsibilities include the following:
- assists the mayor and business administrator with compiling information for preparing the annual budget
- provides the council and mayor with monthly statements of all receipts and disbursements
- prepares annual financial statements and reports for the mayor
- develops financial policies for recommendation to the mayor
- safeguards the township’s financial interests and investments to the fullest extent
- manages the township’s debt
The Division of Tax Collections is also part of this department.