All meeting minutes posted on the township website are unofficial minutes. Official copies of minutes may be obtained from the township clerk.

Minutes: January 24, 2006

Meeting was called to order by Craig Williams at 7:48 p.m.

Statement of Compliance

The following statement of compliance was read by Craig Williams.

Pursuant to the Open Public Meetings Act, Chapter 231, P.L. 1975 adequate notice as defined in Section 3D of Chapter 231, P.L. 1975 has been mailed from the Vernon Municipal Center to the New Jersey Herald on January 18, 2006. Notice is also posted on the bulletin board and filed with the office of the Township Clerk.

Salute to Flag

Roll Call

The roll call of members was called and Barrie Beaver (arrived 7:54 p.m.), Dennis Downey, Gary Grey (arrived 7:55 p.m.), David Gornstein, Brenda Susman and Craig Williams answered the call.

Open Meeting to the Public

No members of the public were present.

Applications Under Review

ZB #2-06-2: Gino Misciagna—Variance for Stream Buffer Setback

The EC reviewed application to build a single family home along the shoreline of Vernon Valley Lake. The EC agreed a letter of opinion should be forwarded to the ZB expressing concern about the house being constructed in such close proximity to the lake. It was the EC’s opinion the buffer setbacks should be maintained. In addition, the application lacks information regarding soil types.

PB #8-05-9: James Lombardo—Revised Preliminary & Final Site Plan

The EC reviewed plans which included revisions to the wetlands transition area. The EC was interested in reviewing the LOI.

ZB #9-15-18: Glenwood Management, LP—Revised Site Plan

The EC reviewed plans which included revisions to the drainage system and detention basins. The EC’s concerns included the adequacy of the buffers and the impact of the high water table on the detention structures.

PB #2-06-1: Michael Pappa—Minor Site Plan

The EC agreed the application requires an LOI. The EC is concerned the level of the planned seepage pits are too near the water level of the Black Creek and the application does not include information regarding soil types.

PB #2-06-2: Riccobano Development, LLC—Minor Subdivision

The application included the proper DEP documentation and soil logs therefore, the EC agreed they did not have a comment.

Planning Board Liaison Report

David Gornstein reported that the PB formed a committee to review the NRI. The committee consists of Logan, Koenig and Kneip.

Approval of Meeting Minutes

Brenda Susman made a motion to approve the January 10, 2006 minutes as amended; Dennis Downey seconded the motion.

Old Business

Shade Tree Ordinance

Brenda Susman distributed copies of Sparta Township’s tree ordinance for the EC to review. The EC will discuss the ordinance at the next meeting.

Upper Plateau

Craig Williams showed the EC pictures taken January 14, 2006. The EC agreed Lou Kneip should receive a copy of the pictures.

A&P Plaza Waste Disposal

Craig Willaims showed the EC pictures taken behind the A&P Plaza showing open waste containers and garbage spread around by animals. The EC agreed a letter should be sent to the health department.

Earthfest 2006

Brenda Susman reported Dennis Downey and she attended the meeting and the Earthfest Committee is trying to gain more “earth friendly” businesses to participate. Also, there was a discussion on how the Earthfest originally started. There will be a photo contest for the high school students and a poster contest for the middle school students. Dennis Downey reported his solar company will be participating and he would like to ask the Morris Conservancy to participate.

New Business

Letter from Amos Phillips

Regarding property located at 2 Basswod Drive. Mr. Phillips is requesting approval from the DEP to drill a well in the wetlands.

Gary Grey questioned if the EC received details on the stormwater detention pond located at the new Maple Grange Park. Craig Williams suggested that it was within the EC’s ability to question the town.

David Gornstein advised the EC that Austin Carew gave him information regarding David Kunz the county GIS manager. Apparently, there is an agreement between the township and the county to supply GIS maps. The EC discussed different uses for the GIS maps on the township website.

Dennis Downey suggested there should be a few workstations at the Earthfest for people to view the GIS maps and the NRI.

Adjournment

There being no further items of business for the regular meeting, a motion was made by Dennis Downey to adjourn the meeting; David Gornstein seconded the motion. The regular meeting of the Vernon Township Environmental Commission was adjourned at 9:56 p.m.